Posts tagged Law
There are three types of companies that can be incorporated under the Companies Act 965
(“CA”). They are:
• A company limited by shares
• An unlimited company
• A company limited by guarantee
For the purpose of conducting business in Malaysia, the most common type is a company limited
COMPANY LIMITED BY SHARES
A company having a share capital may be incorporated as a private company (identified through
the words ‘Sendirian Berhad’ or ‘Sdn. Bhd.’ appearing together with the company’s name) or public
company (identified through the words ‘Berhad’ or ‘Bhd.’ appearing together with the company’s
name). The requirements to form a company are:
i. A minimum of two subscribers to the shares of the company (Section 4 CA);
ii. A minimum of two directors (Section 22 CA); and
iii. A company secretary who can be either:
a. an individual who is a member of a professional body prescribed by the Minister of
Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs; or
b. an individual licensed by the Companies Commission of Malaysia (“SSM”).
Both the director and company secretary shall have their principal or only place of residence
1. Name Search With SSM And Application For Name
A name search must be conducted to determine whether the proposed name of the company is
available. The steps involved are:
i. Completion and submission of Form A CA (Request For Availability Of Name) to SSM;
ii. Payment of a RM0.00 fee for each name applied.
When the proposed company’s name is approved by SSM, it shall be valid for three months from
the date of approval.
2. Lodgement of Incorporation Documents
Incorporation Documents (as further explained below) must be submitted to SSM within three
months from the date of approval of the company’s name by SSM, failing which a fresh application
for a name search must be done. [Steps (i) and (ii) above shall have to be repeated].
Incorporation Documents To Be Lodged With SSM
1. Memorandum and Articles of Association
• An original copy of the Memorandum and Articles of Association shall each be stamped at
RM00.00. Stamps are affixed at the Inland Revenue Board’s stamp office.
• The directors and secretaries shall be named in the Memorandum and Articles of Association.
• The subscribers to the company’s shares shall sign the Memorandum and Articles of
Association in front of a witness.
• Table A of the Fourth Schedule in the CA can be adopted as the Articles of Association of the
company (Section 0 CA).
For incorporation of a private company, the Articles of Association shall contain the following
i. Restriction on the right to transfer the company’s shares;
ii. Limitation on the number of members to not exceed fifty;
iii. Prohibition on any invitation to the public to subscribe the shares/debentures of the
iv. Prohibition on public invitation to the public to deposit money with the company.
2. Form 48A (Statutory Declaration By A Director Or Promoter Before Appointment)
The director or promoter declares under oath that:
• he/she is not a bankrupt; and
• he/she has not been convicted and imprisoned for the prescribed offences.
3. Form 6 (Declaration of Compliance)
This declaration states that all the requirements of the CA have been complied with. It must be
signed by the company secretary who handles the registration and is named in the Memorandum
and Articles of Association.
4. Additional documents:
• Original Form A.
• A copy of the letter from SSM approving the name of the company.
• A copy of the identity card of each director and company secretary
Each application for the incorporation of a company shall be accompanied with payment as per the
AUTHORISED SHARE CAPITAL (RM) FEES (RM)
AUTHORISED SHARE CAPITAL (RM) == FEES (RM)
Up to 100,000 == 1 ,000
1 00,001 –> 500,000 == 3 ,000
500,001 –> 1 million == 5,000
1 ,000,001 –> 5 million == 8,000
5,000,001 –> 10 million == 10,000
1 0,000,001 –> 25 million== 20,000
25,000,001 –> 50 million == 40,000
50,000,001 –> 100 million == 50,000
1 00,000,001 and above == 70,000
Certificate of Incorporation
A Certificate of Incorporation will be issued by SSM upon compliance with the incorporation
procedures and submission of duly completed incorporation documents.
* Please consult with us if you needed expertise to register your company please contact 016-6631979 (Ezlie) for more information.
You can also SMS, WhatsApp & WeChat with us.
FB ID: fb.com/ezlie.syafarin
YM id : ezlie_syafarin